Registered Dietitians are experts at understanding how nutrients affect an individual's health. What can you expect when you schedule your first appointment with a Registered Dietitian at Potomac Behavioral Solutions?
First, you will receive a thorough clinical assessment and collaboratively set personalized goals.
Depending on your unique needs, recommendations and interventions may including the following:
- Clinical assessment to understand your historical and current relationship with food/eating
- Assessment of co-occurring conditions (pre-diabetes, diabetes, polycystic ovary syndrome, celiac disease, etc.)
- Individualized treatment solutions to aid in reducing disordered eating behaviors
- Identification of realistic and balanced meals and snacks
- Developing trust in your hunger, fullness, and satisfaction cues (Intuitive Eating)
- Nutrition recommendations and education for improving energy, focus, and emotion regulation
- Research-based interventions to increase internal motivation to make changes
- Exposure to mindful eating and feared foods/food-related situations
- Interventions for decreasing preoccupation with food and weight
- Strategies to decrease emotional eating and prioritize self-care
- Assistance restructuring food environments to avoid triggers
- Challenging unhelpful food rules, beliefs, assumptions, and judgments
- Collaborating with the eating/feeding disorder team (see adult and child/adolescent programming)
- Education about Health at Every Size and body compassion/respect
- Providing relevant resources such as podcast and book recommendations
*Please note that we do not offer diet or weight loss programming. Instead, our evidence-based interventions focus on mindful and/or intuitive eating which may or may not result in weight loss. Our goal is help you connect with your own hunger, fullness, and satisfaction cues. For this reason, the intention is to help you move away from eating that is based on calorie counting, exchange systems, and rigid meals plans, and focus instead on learning how to honor your personal nutrition needs.
If you are interested in this approach, please see more about our Intuitive Eating Program, which is a 12-Session Individualized Program.