OCD & Anxiety INtensive Program
Common Treatment Targets Include:
Obsessions/intrusive thoughts related to:
- Flaws in appearance
- Physical symptoms/somatic obsessions
Compulsions related to:
- Reassurance seeking
- Mental checking
- Figuring it out (eg, "Am I a good person?", "Am I gay?")
- Fear of flying, animals, or other specific phobias
- Social Anxiety
- School Avoidance
The Intensive Program is specialty designed for adults who would benefit from more targeted treatment of OCD and anxiety-related symptoms. The Intensive Program identifies and addresses triggers to obsessions and helps patients prevent mental and behavioral compulsions. Our approaches include Exposure with Response Prevention (ERP), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). The Intensive program runs for five hours, five days weekly (including homework over the weekend). Each patient and their family meets one-to-one with a team of at least three providers. Our team includes psychiatrists and therapists. You will have a primary therapist who is part of your treatment team.
1. Phone consultation with Intake Coordinator
- Goals are to assess level of care recommendations and introduce programming. The Intake Coordinator can also discuss lodging and transportation recommendations.
2. Initial intake and pre-commitment with individual Provider (4-6 weeks of once weekly individual 45-minute sessions)
- Psychoeducation (including family members)
- Psychological assessment
- Structuring the environment
- Learning non-avoidant coping
- Treatment planning and case formulation
- Development of exposure hierarchy
3. Intensive Week (9-2pm Tuesday-Monday)
- Review assigned homework exposures
- Exposure and skills development protocols
- Assign homework for the evening
4. Follow ups
- 45-minute sessions focused on relapse prevention. Typically once weekly for 6 months following the intensive week.
Frequently Asked Questions/Topics
What disorders do you treat?: Our programming can address OCD (including postpartum OCD), Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Illness Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Phobias, among other anxiety-based disorders.
I'm traveling from out of the area. Where should I stay?: We accept patients into the Intensive Program from national and international locations. Our location near Reagan Airport in the Washington, DC metro area allows for a variety of lodging and transportation options.Search for hotel options in the "Crystal City" section of Arlington, VA.
Can I do phone/Skype sessions?: Phone and Skype sessions are not a replacement for in-person, individual therapy sessions.